Crimes & Disasters
Documents & Records
April 16, 1883, a franchise was granted to the Akron. Street
Railway and Herdic Company--Ira M. Miller, president, Wm.
Christy, secretary and treasurer, and John E. Metlin,
superintendent—to lay a railway track through Howard and Main
streets, from Furnace street to the south corporation line, the
franchise to continue for the period of 25 years. The line was
constructed the same year, and successfully operated for some
time, with an extension, in 1887, to Lake Side Park, on the east
side of Summit Lake, about one mile south of the city limits,
Mr. John Wilson, of the Sixth Ward, for several years, having
run a half-hourly line of comfortable Herdic coaches, on Market
street, between Howard street and Case avenue in the Sixth Ward.
When the railroads came to
Akron in 1852, this wooden building was our first Union Depot.
It was located on Mill opposite the intersection of Summit
Street from 1852 to 1891.
From 1852, when the railroads
first came to our city, until 1891 Akron had only a shabby, barn
like structure (photo at top). In 1891 the Erie railroad made
amends by erecting an ornate, $20,000 depot just south of the
old building. Historian Samuel Lane approved, calling the new
structure "as much of an ornament as the old wooden depot was an
eyesore and reproach."
Union Depot was erected in
1891 on the site of the George D. Bates homestead, just below
East Market Street. It served the community until 1950; then
it was torn down during the summer of 1951. In the background
in this 1905 photo are the Amelia Flats on Park Street, still
in use but now called the Grace Park Apartments.
The Valley Depot was built in
1888 and located on West Market Street at Canal Street. There
are three ventilators in this station to conduct smoke through
the building from locomotive underneath.
The Valley Railroad between
Akron and Cleveland was completed in 1880. For the first years
of its existence, the Valley had to load its passengers at
Howard and Ridge, a situation which most Akronites considered
terribly inconvenient. In 1888, however, the line solved the
problem with the construction of a passenger station at Market
and Canal Street. The picture above was taken shortly after
1890 and shows the station with the stone bridge that carried
Market Street over the Ohio Canal.
Locomotive Exhibited in 1925
This 1832 locomotive appeared
in the Akron Centennial on July 20, 1925. Left to Right: T.S.
Shuor, E.L. Bangs, K.F. Wright, L.E. Galloway (all B.&O.
officials). H.B. Yarnell, centennial parade secretary; E.E.
Helm, centennial business manager, and Gilbert Hunter.