Built in Ghent, Bath Township, in 1832 this old mill still stands.
It may be the oldest woolen mill in Ohio. The mill was established
on Yellow Creek by Allen and Bloom.
Old State Mill and Reservoir in Akron
Stone quarries operated in Peninsula from 1856 to 1917 and
employed up to 200 workers in periods of peak activity. Products
included building stone, flagging, curbing, grindstones, hullers,
pearlers, and stones for sharpening scythes and mower knives. The
stones were ground here and shipped to customers by wagon or canal
boat. The men shown in the (right) 1910 photo are at the West
Quarry (Deep Lock Quarry on the south side of Rt. 303, west of
Riverview Road). After use discontinued, it became flooded and
then was used for swimming.
Milling was the principal industry at Brandywine from 1814, when
the village rivaled Cleveland, until the early 1900's. The
Wallaces, first settlers of the area, built a saw mill in 1814, a
grist mill in 1815, and a woolen mill in 1820. They also operated
a distillery, store and post office. The mill pictured here was
razed in 1918.
Saw Mill, Northfield
Looking like a scene of much activity, this mill had stood at
Brandywine Falls until partly washed away in the great flood of
1843. It was then moved to the Hudson-Newberg Road in Macedonia
and later enlarged to include both a grist and cider mills.
Moody & Thomas Milling Company, Peninsula
This photograph from about 1900 shows clearly how this major
flour mill was situated with relation to the Cuyahoga River dam
and the canal aqueduct, seen at the right, which carried the Ohio
Canal over the Cuyahoga River in Peninsula.
Cuyahoga Falls Library Archives, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.