Crimes & Disasters
Documents & Records
Known now as Akron General
Medical Center, Peoples Hospital Association was begun in
1914. The new hospital building has since been hidden by an
additional to the front. The nurses' home, still standing, is
shown to the right.
The county's second infirmary
(poor house) was erected in 1864-65 on the south side of W.
Exchange St. at Storer Ave. Built of brick that was made on
the grounds by pauper labor, it replaced a frame building at
W. Market and Portage Path that had been in use since 1849.
The new infirmary cost about $20,000 and was used until
replaced in 1921 by the Summit County Home in Tallmadge.
Akron got its first real
hospital in 1892, when the City Hospital Association purchased
the East Market street home of Dr. SW Bartges and converted it
to medical use. In its first year of operation 143 patients
were cared for.
Dedication of the present
main building of the Akron City Hospital on April 29, 1904,
the building cost $203,600.94.
Sumner Home for the Aged
George T. Perkins, grandson
of Akron's founder, built this house on Prospect Street in
Akron. When this photo was taken in 1912, however, the house
was occupied by the Sumner Home for the Aged which used the
building after Perkins' death in 1910 until 1951. The building
is still standing today, serving as the headquarters for the
Summit County United Way.
Mary Day Nursery (Children's Hospital)
Links for Today's Facilities
General Medical Center