The Beacon Publishing Company began
publication of Akron's first daily
newspaper, the Akron Daily Beacon, on
December 6, 1869. In 1930 Scripps Howard
Newspaper had the a new building built
for the Akron Times-Press. Then, in
1938, the company acquired its present
building and the newspaper from the
Times-Press, the original owner of the
structure. The site of the building at
Exchange and High was formerly occupied
by the City's Music Hall, razed in 1929
to allow the new construction.
The building is located on a main
north-south artery of Akron and on the
fringes of the central industrial
The building has a three tiered corner
tower that had swaged lanterns over the
entries.. Buttress piers contain windows
above the basement. Torch motifs
ornament the banded tower.
Adding to Akron's Modern
Structures. Advertisement. Akron
Topics Apr. 1930:Cover.
Building of The Times-Press to be opened
About June 15
Occupying the site of Akron's
one-time Music Hall, at Exchange and
High streets, the new building of
the Akron Times-Press adds
conspicuously to the increasing
important Main-Exchange district.
The Times-Press management is
everywhere commended that without
exception Akron builders and Akron
supply houses are performing the
labor and furnishing the material
for the new home of this Akron
newspaper. New equipment of
machinery throughout will make this
as complete a newspaper plant as
could be devised.
Top Photo: Akron Times Press.
photograph. 1930. Akron-Summit County
Library: Special Collections, Akron, OH.
Akron Topics July. 1930: 6.