www.akronhistory.org    

 

HASC Banner 


HOME  FORUM  CONTACT US  SUBMISSION  LINKS

Website is currently being updated, please bear with us as we add information, pictures and repair pages.

Businesses

Citizens

Crimes & Disasters

Cuyahoga River

Industry

Architecture

Leisure Time

Did You Know?

Transportation

Documents & Records

History Books

Townships

 

 

 Transit


The Akron-Bedford and Cleveland Electric Line, above, connected the cities of Akron and Cleveland. Known as the A.B. & C. or "alphabet" railroad, the interurban line began operating on November 9, 1895.

Both photos above and below show horse drawn street cars belonging to the Akron Street Railway & Herdic Co.
 

First Electric Street Car
On October 10, 1888 the electric streetcar came to Akron and replaced the horse-drawn herdic. On the trial run, with William Hilliard "at the lever" and 40 men and boys as passengers, the car went out West Market Street to Portage Path and returned - in 15 minutes.
 

Street Car Tracks at Market and Main
This photo was taken at the turn of the century when Akron's original street car tracks were being refurbished to carry heavier modern electric street cars. Akron's original horse drawn "Herdics" began operation in 1883 but were soon replaced by electric cars, one of which is seen here. The Empire House, built in 1847 and long the city's finest hotel, had lost some of its bloom by the time this photo was taken and would be replaced by the Portage Hotel in 1912.
 
 

Streetcar tracks being installed at Main and Exchange Streets, looking southwest in 1912.

Car 336 at the Miller Barn

Motormen on the Akron-Kenmore-Barberton line of the Northern Ohio Traction Co. look somber as they pose at the Miller street car barn for this 1910 photo. Electric railcar service from Akron to Barberton began in 1895. Service on the Kenmore Blvd. portion started in 1901 and ended in 1947.

The mass-transportation system set up in Goodyear Heights in 1915 became the first in the nation to employ tandem buses. The 1920 six-wheel bus shown in the left photo used a streetcar body. The bus on the right shows us that passengers could ride this six-wheel bus from Akron to Cuyahoga Falls non-stop for a dime in 1926. Business did not flourish because many thought the fare was too high.
 

This was one of two double deck buses used in express service between Firestone Rubber Company in south Akron and Cuyahoga Falls during rush hours. 10c for express fare.
 

Akron Terminal Building
In 1917 the N.O.T. & L. built a four-story interurban building on N. Main near Federal. When completed, it was said to be the finest terminal in Ohio. Later it served as the office building for the Ohio Edison Company.
 

Photograph Archives. Cuyahoga Falls Library, Cuyahoga Falls, OH.

Courtesy of Akron Summit County Public Library: Special Collections

Lane, Samuel A. Fifty Years and Over, The History of Summit County. Beacon
     Job Department, 1892.

Grismer, Karl H. Akron and Summit County. Akron, OH: Summit County Historical
     Society, n.d.

Graphics, stories, articles and other partial content are all Copyright ©2006-2011 Jeri Holland and other respective authors.